• English
  • Türkçe
  • русский язык
  • українська
  • العربية
  • Deutsch
  • Français
  • español, castellano
  • see


    Set in the south of Tunceli’s Çemişgezek district, Pulur (Sakyol) Tumulus attests to inhabitation of the region since approximately BCE 5500. Now submerged under the waters of the Keban Dam Lake, the city’s written history began with the Subarians circa BCE 2200. Numerous artifacts and buildings were found, among which are tombstones in the shapes of ram, sheep or horses left from Akkoyunlus. There are also religious sites, castles, and a museum. In addition to historical artifacts, valleys, waterfalls and springs provide a visual feast for visitors. Wild animals – most notably, the mountain goats – present a delightful sight to visitors who take nature walks in Tunceli.

    Tunceli Museum

    The only museum in the city, Tunceli Museum (Tunceli Müzesi) was opened towards the end of 2020. The building was built as a barracks in 1937. Its exhibits range from the Palaeolithic Age to the Republic Period, introducing the archaeological, historical, and cultural values of the city to visitors.

    The museum has an indoor area of 5,800 square metres and outdoor space of 1,800 square metres. Concerts, plays, and other activities are organized in the outdoor area. Within the museum is a library with 10,000 volumes; among the sections is one on “Beliefs”. This section offers visitors information on Alevism, along with an exhibition explaining Alevi rituals.  

    Ram-Shaped Tombstones

    Ram-shaped tombstones (Koç biçimli mezar taşları) are mainly found in the districts of Mazgirt, Pertek and Pülümür. Bringing the Turkmen traditions of Akkoyunlu Period to this day, these tombstones are remarkable for their carvings and engravings, which provide clues about the person who lies buried beneath. Figures such as swords, horses or rams signify that the deceased was known for bravery; pitchers and trays denote generosity. Figures such as oil lamps or scales indicate that those tombs belong to clergymen, while carved needles, handles, crowbars or hands adorn the tombs of women. And figures such as Zulfiqar (Zülfikar - the Sword of Ali), or a sun disk indicate that the deceased was an Alevi.

    Pulur (Sakyol) Tumulus

    The excavations carried out in the tumulus (burial mound), which is now submerged under the waters of Keban Dam Lake, demonstrate that the history of Tunceli dates to approximately BCE 5500. Findings correspond to the cultural layer of the late Neolithic/early Chalcolithic periods and have provided significant information about everyday life, culture, and belief in that period. Among the interesting finds are temples featuring hearthstones in which human faces are engraved.

    Yeniköy Tumulus

    Yeniköy Tumulus (Yeniköy Höyüğü) is in the east of Pulur (Sakyol), 3 km north of Laluşağı Village, which is now under the Keban Dam Lake. Four layers of structures were excavated in this settlement, also known as Gavur Tumulus. Untreated scraps of copper residue in the tumulus, where items from the Early Bronze Age were discovered, are significant as they prove that mining had been practised in the region.

    Til Tumulus

    Til Tumulus (Til Höyüğü) is set in Kuşçu Village of the Mazgirt District, approximately 1 km south of the highway. A dirt road leads up to Til Tumulus, announced as a Grade 1 Archaeological Site in 1996.

    Pertek Castle

    The castle, which now resembles an island due to the construction of Keban Dam, is 3 km southwest of Pertek District. It was built in the 9th century. On its bastions, a bronze sculpture of a black-coloured bird dates from the Seljuk Period.

    Yelmaniye Mosque

    Set in the centre of Çemişgezek District on a hilltop with panoramic views, the mosque is thought to have been built as a madrasah in the Timurid Period. With its elaborate stonework and dimensions, the entrance of the mosque has a monumental aspect and is surrounded by geometric ornaments. Pillars decorated with geometric and octagonal ornaments at both sides of the entrance gate rotate around their own axes as the gate is opened. Accompanied by a glamorous mihrap (the niche in a mosque indicating the direction of Mecca) made of both tile and stone, the minbar (pulpit) stands quite simple. The mosque has characteristics of the transition between Seljuk and Ottoman architectural styles.

    Süleymaniye Mosque

    Süleymaniye Mosque (Süleymaniye Cami) is the largest historical structure in the Çemişgezek District. There is no inscription with information about the building date, nor any information about the structure in historical sources. When evaluated according to its characteristics of layout, material and technical features, the mosque appears to represent the regional architectural style that began in the Seljuk era and continued through the Artuqids.

    Ergen Church

    Ergen Church (Ergen Kilisesi), in Geçimli Village of the Hozat District, is believed to be approximately 1,300 years old. Its walls are still standing but its roof – quite large compared to those of other churches in the region – is collapsed. As a fine example of the details of traditional stonemasonry in the region, the church endures, despite damage caused by treasure hunters over the centuries.

    Uzun Hasan Tomb

    It is at the entrance to the district of Çemişgezek and was built in 1572. The tomb was built in the name of Uzun Hasan, the most well-known sovereign of the Akkoyunlus, who ruled the region in the 15th century and substantially expanded their boundaries. However, it has never been definitively proven that the burial chamber within belongs to Uzun Hasan.

    Hamam-ı Atik (The Old Hammam)

    Standing at the centre of Çemişgezek district, this structure is believed to have been built in the 15th century, in the period of Akkoyunlus.

    The New Hammam

    The New Hammam (Yeni Hamam) was built in Çemişgezek, between 1701-1702. The stonework on the side surfaces of the entrance gate reflects the characteristics of the region’s architecture.

    Sividin Bridge

    The bridge in Çemişgezek’s Sividin Quarter is thought to have been built in the Seljuk period, in the 12th or 13th century. The bridge was built in such a way that it rests upon two rocks. It has 11-metre arch span; its clearance from water level is 6.5 metres.

    Aşağı Bridge (Tahar Bridge)

    Aşağı Bridge (Aşağı köprü), also known as the Yusuf Ziya Paşa Bridge, is 3 km from the Çemişgezek district. It is a late Ottoman period structure, built on Tahar Creek in 1807-1808. Measuring 29 metres long and 4.35 metres wide, the bridge has one span, and lancet arches. It attracts attention due to its notable resemblance to the Mostar Bridge of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

    Castle of Kale Village

    Built in the BCE 9th century, the castle is in Kale Village, in Mazgirt. A portion of its fortification walls are still standing; most of the cuneiforms are intact. There is also a church at the foot of the castle.

    Mazgirt Castle

    Located in the Mazgirt district, the castle is believed to have been built in the BCE 9th century, in the age of Rusa II, King of Urartu. Constructed with rocks and debris, the entrance to the castle is through a cave.

    Ferruh Şad Bey Tomb

    Erected by Emeer Ferruh Şad Bey in 1550-1551, the tomb is in the Ulukale Village of Çemişgezek District.

    Gölbağı Church

    Set in the Mazgirt district, Gölbağı Church (Gölbağı Kilisesi) was built with a combination of debris and cut stone. While the district is known to have hosted an ancient settlement, the construction date of the church remains unknown.

    Meydan Fountain

    The fountain in Ulukale village of Çemişgezek has been dated to the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

    Bağın Castle

    Located east of the centre of the Mazgirt District, in Dedebağ Village, the castle was built on a hill near Peri Suyu (Peri Brook). Although the exact date of the castle’s construction is unknown, it is believed to have been erected in the Urartian period.

    Elti Hatun Mosque and Tomb

    Built in 1252, the mosque and cupola-style tomb in the İslam Quarter of Mazgirt were erected by Uzun Hasan, sovereign of Akkoyunlus, for his sister, Elti Hatun.

    Derun-i Hisar (Sağman) Castle

    The castle is in Sağman Village of the Pertek district. It is unknown when or by whom it was built. On a hill in a dominant position, one of the historic castle’s round bastions remains intact.  

    Sağman Mosque

    The mosque in Sağman Village, 20 km from Pertek, is believed to have been built in 1555. Its quadrangular and domed main room has a crown gate made of tinted stones. Ascension to the mosque’s minaret is from outside of the structure. Next to the mosque is a hexagonal tomb.  The mosque’s carved entrance gate attracts attention.

    Sungur Bey Mosque

    Set by the Murat River, at the foot of the Pertek Castle, the mosque was erected in 1569. Later, and prior to the construction of the Keban Dam, the mosque was moved to the centre of Pertek district a painstaking process that involved numbering each stone and rebuilding to the same specifications. The crown gate and the stonemasonry of the mihrab are gorgeous. Renowned for its ornamental wood design, the mosque exemplifies Turkish architectural style and decorative art.

    Çelebi Ağa Mosque

    Located in Pertek, the mosque was built in 1570 by Çelebi Ali, a prominent figure in the region.  The mosque was moved to the district centre of Pertek due to the construction of the Keban Dam.

    Hatun Bridge

    Three kilometres from the district centre of Pülümür, the Hatun Bridge (Hatun Köprüsü) is also known as the Hanım Bridge. It is known to have been on the historical routes.

    Gelin Odaları Caves

    Set 3 km from Pülümür’s district centre, the caves are actually rock-cut rooms believed to have been carved by the Urartians. In addition to the rooms – some of which were allegedly used as dungeons – an underground passage leads to the point where the Hanım Bridge is now located.

    In Hollows (Dervish Alcoves)

    The In Hollows (İn Delikleri), also known as the Dervish Alcoves (Derviş Hücreleri), consist of approximately 20 rooms carved into the side of Tahar Creek Valley, in the western part of Çemişgezek’s district centre. The identity and purpose of the caves’ creators remain unknown. The caverns consist of three tiers of rooms; the rooms feature large openings for light. The İn Hollows also feature rock-carved cisterns and stairs.

    Ana Fatma Shrine

    Located in the Munzur Valley, Ana Fatma is considered sacred place to Alevis. Each year, thousands of visitors, mainly women, come to the site to make wishes and pay homage to Hazrat Fatma, who represents abundance and wealth according to Alevi beliefs. As Hazrat Muhammed’s daughter, Hazrat Ali’s wife and the mother of Hazrat Hüseyin, Hazrat Fatma, who was killed in Karbala, has a significant place in Alevi beliefs.

    Gole Çeto Shrine

    Located at the crossing point of the Munzur and Pülümür streams in the city centre of Tunceli, Gole Çeto is considered a holy site by Alevis.